My friend, Joy, brought me back Shea butter from the States, woohoo! Just in time to make my healing salve, but this time with Shea butter, the fat that’s extracted from the nuts of the African shea tree. It’s used for all kinds of skin problems, from dry skin, burns, to wrinkles and eczema. i’m combining it here with calendula and comfrey to ease pain and soothe and heal rough, dry skin, as well as lip sores.
1/2 c. cold pressed olive oil
1 ounce dried herbs: 1/2 ounce calendula and 1/2 ounce comfrey
1/2 c. shea butter
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/3 c. beeswax
1/4 c. cacao butter
3 vitamin E capsules (of at least 400 units)
10 drops Essential Oil (lavender, rose, or jasmine, lemon, or your choice)
1 tsp. mica powder, color of choice, to color the salve. (But you don’t need to.)
Cheesecloth to strain herbs
Directions: Place your herbs into an oven safe dish and pour the olive oil in. Stir and bake in the oven at the lowest possible temperature (200 degrees or less) and bake for 3 hours. This is your infused oil. (Or, you can pour olive oil directly over the herbs in a clean jar and let sit for 6 weeks.)
- After 3 hours allow the mix to cool slightly but strain through the cheesecloth while it’s still warm. Squeeze out all the oil you can.
- Put your mixture in a pot on the stove (a double boiler would be great) and very GENTLY heat the oil mix back up, without burning. Add all the other ingredients, except the essential oils.
- Puncture and add your vitamin E capsules (or about 1/2 teaspoon if using liquid E) and then add your beeswax. Stir until it’s completely melted and blended.
- Remove from heat and let cool just a minute or two while you add the essential oil and mica powder – your color. Move to fridge and let cool another hour or until starting to harden around the edges but still somewhat soft.Use a hand mixer to whip for 10 minutes until fluffy.Return to the fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.Then pour into a wide mouth jar or several small jars. As it cools the mixture will become semi-solid and be the perfect consistency.
- Word/Phrase of the Day – erase una vez – once upon a time
- Tip of the Day – The combination of shea and cocoa butter with two nourishing oils makes a highly moisturizing combination, but whipping the mix helps it go on smoothly without being oily.