I was lucky enough to be invited to Kimberly’s 7-Course Gourmet Meal at Madre Tierra last night. What a gourmet! Every single dish, (Which there was too much of) tasted absolutely delicious and elegant. I loved it. The menu is below.
- Put the cabbage, and carrots and beets, if you like, into the food processor with salt and caraway.. Press down the cabbage with something – I use the plunger to the food processor – it works great! For several minutes, until there is enough liquid to cover. Or you can press it down with a plate, with a stone on top. There has to be enough liquid to cover the cabbage. You can add water if you need to.
- Cover the jar with a lid, paper towel or coffee filter and a rubber band.
- Let sit for a two weeks and let the air out daily. I put a note on top to tell me when it’s done. But if there’s too many fruit flies here, in Ecuador, after several days, then I put it in the fridge.excess pressure. The sauerkraut’s flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
- Word of the Day – gastronomo – gourmet
- Tip of the Day – Some people like to put the cabbage leaves on top to keep in the moisture, and bury it underground. That keeps the bugs out. Keep checking those leaves, though, to make sure they aren’t moldy.