“I ordered a new computer cable, Clare,” I said to my daughter. “You know how to do that, there, Mom?” she asked. I realized, all of a sudden, how comfortable I was here. “Oh, yeah! You just Whatsapp the guy in the Cuenca store and ask him if he has it. Then he gives you his Pinchinca bank account money. They you go down to Patricia’s store and give her the money and his name and account number. Then when he gets it, he sends it to you! Piece-a-cake.”
Recipe of the Day – Date Cookies
- 2 c. dates, pitted and chopped (about 20 dates)
- 2 c. walnuts
- 1/2 c. cacao powder
- 1/4 c. carob powder
- 1/2 c. almonds, sprouted, if desired
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 c. shredded coconut or 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 pinch vanilla powder or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 T. of the soaked date water, tea or water
- 6 dates, soaked 10 minutes
- Place dates, walnuts, cacao, carob, almonds and sea salt in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Add coconut and vanilla pulse again adding water a little at a time until mixture starts to form a ball.
- Take 1/2 the dough and set aside. Press 1/4 cup into 6 little rounds (the bottom half of the cookie) or into 6 muffin tins.
- Mix the coconut, vanilla and liquid. Spoon onto each cookie.
- Top each cookie with the rest of the cookie dough.
Word of the Day – pedir – to order
Tip of the Day – You can make this with any type of nuts – cashews, almonds, peanuts. Taste them with the dates first, if you want, to see the combination.