I had this drink in Agave Blu – one of the Mexican Restaurants here in town. Honestly, the gals I was with and I thought it was cranberry juice. But, no! A wickedly delicious, fermented drink known as Tepache. The chef keeps it raw, so that all the natural bacteria is intact. Here’s his recipe, or one close to it while I was rapidly storing his words in my brain!
- ½ pineapple cut into chunks (leave skins on)
- ½ c. panela
- 4 c. water
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tsp. each of cinnamon, cardamom , Jamaica flower and sweet pepper.
- Wash the pineapple and cut into chunks.
- Mix the panela and pineapple chunks,water and spices, and add to a large glass jar or pitcher.
- Cover with a cotton cloth or towel and let sit on the counter in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight for 3 days.
- Tepache will become cloudy in 2-3 days and white foam will form on the surface.
- Scoop out the white foam that forms.
- Serve over ice.
- Word of the Day –fermentacion – fermentation
Tip of the Day – Use organic pineapple, so you don’t get the pesticides in there!