“Are we camping again,” Tiko, my dog asks? “Oh, good. Because, you know, Dorothy, I’m always camping. i know where to find water, how to sleep and eat in the forest, and how to go pee. I will guard you. And I like it when you camp with me.”
Recipe of the Day – Lemon Polenta Cake
2/3 c. polenta or yellow corn meal
1 3/4 c. Ground oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
14 T. Coconut oil
1 c. Coconut sugar
3 eggs, whisked or 3 T. Flax seeds soaked in 9 T. Water
zest of 1 large lemon
juice of 1 large lemon
1/2 c. plus 2 T. Coconut sugar
Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of a springform pan with parchment paper and oil th sides with coconut oil,
1) Whisk together the polenta, oats, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl, and set aside.
2) Melt the oil and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Place flax or Crack eggs into bowl and beat gently.
3) Working in stages, gently mix together 1/3 of the oil mixture, 1/3 of the dry ingre
dients, and 1/3 of the beaten eggs. Repeat this process twice more with the remaining ingredients, until all ingredients are just incorporated.
4) Fold in lemon zest, and pour batter into prepared pan.
5) Just before the cake is finished – after about 30 minutes of baking – make the glaze. Heat lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
6) While the cake is still hot, use a toothpick to poke small holes all over the cake. Spoon the glaze evenly over the cake, and spread as necessary. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to precent sticking, before you release it. Warm slightly.
Word/Phrase of the Day – mi – my
Tip of the Day – You can do this cake while camping, by cooking over a low heat in a covered skillet. It works!
Press “subscribe” to get these recipes in your inbox. It’s free!