Q&A : How to Obtain a Residence Visa in Ecuador, Based on Buying Property

Q: Dorothy, do you remember any logistics about obtaining your Residents Visa in Ecuador, based on buying land, and working with a lawyer?

A: Okay, some things are coming back to me about the residency VISA. If you are working with lawyers, you will give them the deed to your land, the statement of worth, and the taxes. (The original owner can get them for you.) You can get this to them ahead of time. Make an appointment with them, maybe the day you get to Quito. Thats what I did. Then, before you get here, have all your original documents apostilled. That means you must send your birth certificate, marriage certificate, degrees or whatever else is on their list, sent away to the state or place it originated from. They wil put a gold seal on it, which says that the notary was good and it is a true and original document. It cannot be messed with. Any staples on it cannot be removed.

You come to Ecuador in hand with your passport (they will make two color copies of it), two color passport-sized phtos of you on a white backround, and apostilled original birth certificate, marriage certificate (if applicable), degrees and police reports. They submit an application which they fill out for you. They write a letter in spanish to the government for you. They go with you to the couple of offices to submit your paperwork. They take a picture of you. They translate all your stuff into spanish. They submit all your documents and send you back your passport, stamped with your resident visa stamp. They do this all in one day. You should plan to stay in Quito for another day or two, in case of any hiccups,
Some things might have changed since two years ago, but that’s the gist of how to get a residency visa in Ecuador with a lawyer’s help. Hope this helps!

And from a site I found online:

Requirements for Residency

The requirements to obtain a visa to live as a resident of Ecuador are relatively simple, and the process can be done by anyone if you’ve got a bit of attention to detail.

Alternatively, there are some good attorneys who can do all the paperwork for you for a fee.

All documents submitted for this process must be originals or certified (notarized) copies

 Documents provided by the applicant must be obtained only from the responsible U.S. authorities, and authenticated by the Ecuadorian Consul

 Documents must be legally translated into Spanish if not already in Spanish

You must register your home address with immigration authorities, and report any change of address while living in Ecuador.

All applications for resident visas require the following to be submitted:

 A visa petition addressed to the Director General of Extranjería, signed by the applicant and an attorney

·A completed form ” Solicitud de visa de inmigrante” for the appropriate visa type

Two notarized copies of an up-to-date passport, with the notary attesting to the fact that its status is legally current

 A completed form ” hoja de datos para la cédula” (a data sheet, subsequently used for your identity card)

·Two current passport size photos, in color with white backdrop

·Visa fee of $350.

About the fee: These fees are current as of April 2010.
In addition to the six items above, there are additional submittals required depending on the type of visa you’re asking for.

To get these articles and stories in your inbox, press the “subscribe” button!

Published by

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *