“Did you cut your finger, Dorothy?” My friends asked as I climbed into their car for Sunday market. “Yes! All I did was reach into a lemongrass bush and it sliced my finger right open!” “Those will get you!” They agreed.
2 T. coconut oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 inch piece fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2 inch pieces
3 T. curry powder or 2 tsps. Yellow Curry Paste
1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diagonally sliced
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 pound fried tofu, cut into bite-size pieces
6 cups vegetable broth
2 T. Bragg’s amino acids or vegetarian fish sauce
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 Kaffir lime leaves
8 small potatoes, quartered
2 c. coconut milk
2 c. bean sprouts, for garnish
8 sprigs fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, lemon grass and curry powder.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in green pepper, carrots, mushrooms and tofu.
- Pour in vegetable stock and water.
- Season with Bragg’s or Fish Sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then stir in potatoes and coconut milk.
- Then reduce heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Garnish each bowl with a pile of bean sprouts and cilantro.
Word of the Day – hierba luisa – lemongrass
Tip of the Day – If the medicinal herb is not growing in your garden, plant it! You can mark on your calendar when it’s two days before the full moon, the best time to plant.