As I was buying bananas in the store today, a man spoke next to me. “Never say that again.” “What,” I asked. “Never say, “Puedo tenir, when you want something.” (Can I have…) All North Americans say it and it’s wrong. Maria, the store owner, nodded her head in agreement. “Say, Me gustaria,” (I would like.) DanG, Ive been doing that for two years!
REcipe of the Day – Black eyeD Pea Salad
- 1 lb. black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz. tofu, pressed between 2 plates, with paper towels on both sides to absorb the moisture.
- 1 c. chopped parsley, fresh
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red bell, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 small chiles, seeded and chopped (wear gloves!)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red pepper
- Whisk the vinegars together in a small bowl. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly to thoroughly blend. Stir in the seasonings. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Serve over lettuce leaves covering the bottom of the bowl.
Word of the Day – Puedo tenir – Can I have.
Tip of the Day – Wear gloves! The chiles here are dang hot. You don’t want to rub your eyes after touching them. They’ll be warm, too warm, for hours!
If you’d like to receive these recipes in your inbox, click the “subscribe” button. It’s free!