Mi pobrecito Tiko, my poor Tiko, had a thorn lodged in his foot for over 24 hours, poor guy! He was really limping. Everyone tried to see where it was, but we couldn’t. So I finally took him to the Vet this morning, with a stash of hot dogs for motivation and comfort. Dr. Pablo had to give him a sedative, and then a pain-reliever in the paw, as it was “muy complicado,” very complicated. But it turned out okay. The thorn was lodged horizontally under the skin, and he got it out very nicely and Tiko is asleep now. $5 for the surgery and $1.60 for 9 pain pills, 3 – 3x a day.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. cooked pinto beans, well-drained
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 T. coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 T. tomato paste
- 2 T. Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp.ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. white or black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2. c. oats
- 2 Tab. nutritional yeast.
- 1 T. flax seeds soaked in 3 Tab. water
- Saute onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add to the pinto beans, water, coconut aminos or soy sauce, tomato paste, and all seasonings to the food processor. Blend until it’s a thin paste.
- Combine remaining ingredients ( oatmeal, yeast, and soaked flax) in a large mixing bowl. Add the contents of the food processor and stir until combined until it is a soft dough, adding a little more water, if necessary.
- Set up a steamer in a pot of water and bring the water to a boil. Roll the dough into hot dog shapes and place it on the foil/paper. Use the paper to help you roll it., then twist the ends closed. Makes 8 dogs. Steam for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping. Store the veggie dogs in a covered container in the refrigerator. Warm gently in a frying pan or microwave or on a grill before serving.
Word of the Day – muy complicado – very complicated
Tip of the Day – You sure can trust Dr. Pablo Leon in Vilca. He and his brother have been nothing but awesome for my dog this year.
Hit “subscribe” to get these recipes in your inbox. It’s free!