Usually I buy a coconut ($1.50), a pipa, a young green coconut. They chop off the top for me. I drink some of it to lessen the weight while I carry it around. Then, when I get home, I pour the rest into a container, cut it in half and scoop out the cream. Then blend a little of the coconut water with the cream, to make a pudding! (See my recipe for pudding on this blog.) Well, today, my friend, L, showed me you could go up and ask for it mixed! For 10 cents more they open it up, scoop out the cream or the hard coconut, and mix them together for you! Giving you two huge glasses of coconut cream, wow! What an effort for another 10 cents. I’m so in. Now, I just have to remember to bring a container, para llevar (to go.)
Recipe of the Day – Coconut Cream
- The meat of the coconut
- 1/4 c. juice of the coconut
- 1 Tab. coconut oil
- 2-3 T. cacao/carob powder
- pinch vanilla powder (or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 2 tsp. honey or coconut syrup or stevia powder
- Pulse the coconut and juice, and then blend thoroughly. Slowly add the oil until reaches the desired texture, then add the other ingredients.
- Options: Replace the cacao/carob with berries, or nothing! And 1 Tab. chia seeds and let sit for a pudding.
Word of the Day – para llevar – to take out
Tip of the Day – Keep frozen bananas in your freezer to make this into a quick smoothie. Then add cacao or carob powder, strawberries or vanilla! Wow, it’s daily amazing. Or spread this coconut cream on pancakes, raw desserts, brownies…etc….
Press “subscribe” to get these recipes in your inbox daily. It’s free!